Tuesday, May 20, 2008

An artist's work is never done (part 6)


100_0001
Originally uploaded by iamcootis
well, here is the finished product, I think. I'm not sure how I feel about this now. I almost liked it more before I had added to it. I like the back, the hair, the arms, top and bottom. The legs and feet are a little weird and the background just isn't doing it for me anymore. I think it's the solid white. I might sit on this for a while and then go over it with something else.

Here are some things I've learned (and really I already knew). 1. If you're going to paint from a photograph, don't use a flash, instead use a directional light. I knew this, but at the time of taking this photo I had no idea I was going to paint it. It was sort of a shoot from the hip type photo and it just turned out really well. If you'll notice the painting lacks a lot of shadows, especially on the floor. The camera flash killed the shadows. 2. I really like painting from photos. You don't have to make someone sit for a couple hours and the photos never change. 3. Next time, set up a photoshoot before you paint. 4. Finish the painting in one sitting. Coming back later will just mess things up.

2 comments:

jessica said...

Can we see the original photo? I'm curious.

iamcootis said...

If I show you the original, you'll just say things like "Why didn't you do this and that." Just assume the painting looks exactly like the original.